I remember watching a video of a poor sea turtle with a plastic straw up its nose, showing a heartbreaking proof of a situation we could start reverting right now…
“Around 500 millions straws are used and discarded every day in the United States alone. That’s 175 Billion a year filtering into landfills (environment) and littering our waterways and oceans. That’s enough straws to wrap around our planet’s circumference 2.5 times a day! (for more info and to learn about ” the straw challenge” please visit The Last Plastic Straw)
After watching that video, and doing some reading about how bad the plastic straws are for our planet, I thought “that’s it! I may not be able to fix this problem in one day, but I can certainly change things around me to make it right, starting now ”
All this reading and researching pushed me to start looking for products that are “planet-friendly”. I looked around my house to start, and the first thing on my list quickly became these (infamous) plastic straws.
After quite a bit of research, I found a comment somewhere saying something like: “why do adults use straws? Kids learn to zip from a cup at an early age”
I found this to be totally true. Not using plastic straws is the best way, but if you want to use them or if you have kids, we all know that even though they know how to drink from a cup, sometimes is easier to use straws… then eco-friendly straws are the way to go!
There are many options out there for “planet-friendly” straws, some are more expensive than others, and they can have different qualities and different characteristics. So, let’s check them out.
1. Reusable non-plastic straws: Stainless Steel Reusable Straws (cheap, washable, and durable) Some stores where you can find them…
- Bed Bath & Beyond: aprox. $9.99 (4 ct) Stainless Steel Drinking Straws
- Amazon: aprox. $8.29 (6ct) Reusable Straws
- Walmart: aprox. $9.99 (6ct) Stainless Steel Drinking Straws
2. Biodegradable Paper Straws: biodegrade in days, various colors and design but they can not seat for a long time in a drink because they get soggy.
- My Favorite*** Amazon: aprox. $12.97 (100 ct) Tranquilo Biodegradable Paper Straws
- Amazon: aprox. $9.02 (144 ct) Kikkerland Biodegradable Paper Straws
- Amazon: aprox. $6.99 (144 ct) Webake Biodegradable Paper Straws
- Walmart: aprox. $13.39 (144 ct) Biodegradable Paper Straws
- Walmart: aprox. $5.48 (25 ct) Biodegradable Diva Paper Straws
- Eco Products: aprox. $7.59 (50 ct) Striped Paper FLEX Straw
My Favorite***: Tranquilo Biodegradable Paper stronger, don’t get soggy that fast, great variety of designs, flex on and the company donates a portion of their profits to The Ocean Cleanup Project!
3. Compostable Straws:
- Eco Products: aprox. $8.49 (400 ct) Clear Unwrapped Straw
- Amazon: aprox. $12.55 (200 ct) PLA Wrapped Straw
Let’s help cleaning our oceans, our planet…choose not to use straws or choose to use the eco-friendly ones.
Thanks for reading!